Matt Bates is a Madison native and a graduate of Shawe Memorial High School. He received his Bachelor’s from Franklin College where he majored in History and American Studies and minored in Philosophy, International Relations, and Asian Studies.
In his youth, Matthew studied Japanese at the Trident Language School in Nagoya Japan. Matt received his law degree from the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law.
Matt has interned at the Indiana Statehouse and worked around the legislative process for several years prior to coming to Alcorn, Sage, Schwartz, and Magrath LLP. His experience includes interning with the Indiana Legislature, providing consulting work, interning with lobbying groups, and serving as a campaign manager.
Matt worked with the Indiana Trial Lawyer Association where he assisted in lobbying efforts that successfully increased the medical malpractice caps in Indiana for the first time in nearly 20 years. Matt has also interned with the Marion County Indiana Prosecutor’s Office as well as other law firms.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Workers' Compensation
- Social Security Disability
- Family Law
- Estate Planning
- Criminal Defense/Appellate Rep
- Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Franklin College
- Major: History
- Major: American Studies
- Minor: Philosophy
- Minor: International Relations
- Minor: Asian Studies
- Shawe Memorial High School
- Trident Language School
- Major: Japanese
Past Employment Positions
- Indiana Statehouse, Intern
- Indiana Legislature, Intern
- Marion County Indiana Prosecutor’s Office, Intern
- Indiana Trial Lawyer Association, Assistant