We Are In It For The Long Haul Compassion, Skill And Results Since 1976

What damages am I entitled to after a motor vehicle accident?

On Behalf of | Aug 4, 2021 | Motor vehicle accidents |

Many adults enjoy the freedom that having an automobile provides them. Unfortunately, driving in a motor vehicle also means taking on the risk of getting involved in an automobile accident. After you get into a motor vehicle accident in Indiana, it’s understandable to wonder about damages. Here’s a closer look at the damages you’re potentially allowed to claim after a car accident.

Common types of post-accident damages

Indiana is a state that allows its residents to claim both non-economic and economic damages from car accidents. Non-economic damages have to do with mental illnesses that began after an accident. Your partner can also claim loss of consortium.

Economic damages primarily involve expenses related to your accident. These out-of-pocket expenses can include:

  • Lost wages
  • Doctor’s visits
  • Car repair costs
  • Medication expenses
  • Surgeries

Limitations on claiming damages in Indiana

In Indiana, you have two years to file a lawsuit to recover post-accident damages. If a government party is at fault for your accident, you’ll only have 270 days to file against this state. You’ll only have 180 days to file a lawsuit against a city or county in Indiana.

It’s also important to note that there are compensation laws regarding the total amount of damages you claim. These limits depend on the party that’s at fault for your accident.

If a government party is to blame for your accident, you can claim damages of up to $700,000 per person or $5,000,000 total. In other situations, your punitive damages get limited to either $50,000 or three times your compensatory damages.

In conclusion, it is possible to claim damages after a motor vehicle accident. With a clear understanding of damages, you may avoid getting taken advantage of by the other party.